Thursday, May 7, 2009

Why I Now Carry A Man Purse

Two weeks back, my Mom sent me an email about toilet paper in China. I was at the Shanghai library when I read it:

"I hope I don't sound nutty - but I don't think they flush toilet paper down the toilet in China. Maybe you can ask an English speaker."

Now, in my dorm, we have fully functional toilets, so i brushed offyour advice. I promptly signed off and went down the hall to the bathroom, sat down and did my business. Then i noticied it -- there was no toilet paper in the stall. Nor was there any toilet paper in any of the other stalls -- not even paper towels by the sink. Just anair drier. A bit flustered, I texted my buddy to ask him what I should do. He quickly responded "Use Communist Lit." A great idea, but unfortunately the stacks were closed; only the internet room was stillopen. So i left, duckwalked around the city for about 15 minutes until I came upon an Irish pub that was open. There I discovered my holy grail. Long story short, I now carry around a roll of toilet paper wherever I go, in my backpack (or manpurse). Anyways, I've figured out that most places have toilet paper -- you're just not supposed to flush it down the toilet; you toss it in the trash instead. But the library was special. It's only open for about4 hours a day and they don't have any paper whatsoever. Imagine that - communists cutting costs on libraries.

1 comment:

  1. AHH! Same deal in Mexico — Don't flush it down. And apparently illegal immigrants didn't get the message that you can flush it in the U.S. Or at least the ones I hung out with didn't get the message. Or if they did, they didn't care.

    I liked Bashwiner's suggestion... I'd carry around Communist lit instead of TP.

    ReplyDelete